The past two months have been, oh, a bit of a whirlwind. At the end of June, Babel had his first surgery to remove the cataract. We were a little surprised about just how groggy he was following the surgery, but after all the stress, TH and I were very glad to have a long day of napping with the drugged little guy.
Surgery #1 was followed by a ridiculous amount of follow-up appts. In the week following the surgery, we went to the pediatric ophthalmologist (herein forever, "PO"), Dr. Quirky, 5 times. We skipped a day, but we made up for it with two trips in one day due to blood drops coming from Babel's eye.
Yes, his eye bled. Not tears mixed with blood. Drops of blood falling from his baby eye. It was even scarier than the first time I started spotting with the first chemical. TH got us to the city in less than 20 minutes, and that was with a bunch of traffic. It was decided that we watch too many medical dramas, but thankfully, all was well with the little guy's eye. Dr. Quirky, in true just the right amount of quirky form, couldn't definitively tell us why the blood happened, but he assured us all was well.
During all of this, my mom was with us to help out. It didn't work out entirely as planned, but it was better to have her here than not. She was really preoccupied with work she needed to do during the three weeks she was here, and we just weren't very cohesive in sharing care. I don't really know how to explain it; it wasn't terrible, it wasn't great, it just was.
Over the 4th of July, the rest of the fam came and we had our annual BBQ. Babel stole the show and all was well. He was ridiculously spoiled by Uncle Oldest Younger Brother, who is 17 and would set his alarm for 730am to wake up to play with Babel. It was pretty darn cute.
When the rest of the fam left (ie, the boys), Mom and The Belle stayed behind to help out with Surgery #2. It went just as easily as the first surgery, as by this time, we were old pros. We had the same issue with the 2nd eye bleeding, only this time it stayed in the eye and filled the white part of his eye. We ended up with a trip the ER to confirm that all was well, and it was. I think Babel just really likes this hospital. ;)
We started Babel out in glasses following surgery, and they were a pretty emotional ride for the mama. I went through a variety of emotions, most not pretty, while trying to accept glasses as part of Babel's adorable little face. He lasted about 3 weeks in them before we moved to contacts, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss those glasses just a little bit. I had been so worried about the aesthetics of them, whether we'd hear rude comments that a fragile mama couldn't handle, and whether or not I could get used to his "new" face. Turns out that I love that new face just as much, maybe even more, than I love that little face without glasses. When we're out walking now and I'm pushing the stroller, I sometimes have to remind myself that no one is going to comment on how cute he looks in his glasses...because he's not wearing them!
He's been in contacts now for two weeks. After the first week, we had to change his Rx and size because they kept sliding down in his eye (de-centering). He's developed a bit of strabismus in the left eye, the one that was operated on 2nd. They've changed the contacts to hopefully help that, but the change seems minimal. We're now patching his good eye once a day for an hour at a time, something he's not too fond of. The crossing is sometimes very, very hard to watch. TH pointed out to me that I make a little whimper when it's turning in a lot, so my new uncomfortable habit is to squeeze my hands into fists. :/ Not my finest moments, but it's really not easy to see. It makes me want to squeeze the little guy to BITS.
Overall, we're doing pretty well. Babel is mobile and into EVERYthing. He taught himself to crawl at 6 mos, in between the two surgeries. He quickly got himself up by pulling to a standing position. He thinks lots of things are hilarious, and he likes to pant like a puppy when he's *really* happy. I use the phrase, "Not for babies!" at least 10 times a day, but it secretly makes me happy because I know that he can see the things he's getting into, even if they really aren't for babies. :) Yesterday, he was picking at a dirty spot on the floor, and I about kissed him AND the dirt fleck on the floor. He can see!! The 2nd pair of contacts, while the Rx is a little lower than they'd like, seem to be working very well.
TH and I are coping, but we're not always doing it so gracefully. We've completely swapped roles of me being the rock while he has a harder time adjusting to the changes and our new, permanent situation. Things keep getting thrown at us right after we adjust to the "new norm", and I wish I could say we were as strong as we're capable of being.
Babel needs to have his eye pressure checked on Wednesday, which requires anesthesia, since he's too little to hold still for the measurements while awake. If you have some spare good vibes, we could definitely use them. It will still be hard to leave him in the OR for the procedure, even though it's "simple and easy". They are also a little concerned that his eye pressures may be rising and glaucoma beginning, which would not be good. If it is in fact up, it could be from the prednisolone drops he's still taking (and tapering). At any rate, we don't want glaucoma to start, so we would really appreciate some good thoughts in that direction.
I'm still trying to write more often. The days have been one big blur, one week becoming the next with little distinction. Things finally seem to be slowing down, but like I mentioned, once we adjust to the "new" thing, something newer just seems to immediately pop up. We're exhausted and stressed but still head over heels for the little guy, despite all the things that are trying to hold him back. He's having none of it; and if you asked him, he'd tell you nothing big has happened these past few months. Well, maybe not. He'd probably tell you to get out of his way...he has some exploring to do at those toys right behind you...


I had been wondering about how it went with Babel's surgery, and I am so glad for this update. He looks cute and cute and cute and nothing lesser!
ReplyDeleteI quite understand how this must have taken a toll on your relationship and life at home and I hope that you guys will do beautifully.
Be good, Babel!
So good to hear from you! I can't imagine going through all of that, and keeping your spirits up throughout it all. The bleeding eyes, walking away from Babel as he goes into surgery, watching him all drugged up, all of it has to be so very hard. But you are both very strong, and are doing everything you can to do right by Babel. I'm so happy to hear that he's just like any other baby - getting into stuff and having a great time at it! Hang in there, and remember to take some time for you and for your relationship. Thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, how scary that blood must have been!!
ReplyDeleteThose glasses ARE pretty darn adorable... glad all's gone well, and I hope the pressure test went well, too.