24 January 2010

Dear Great Grandma


I lost my Mitochondrial Eve today, before I could give her the coveted 5th generation picture we took years ago. It breaks my heart I never made her a Great Great Grandma. I tried, and I know that she knows that I tried. I'm trying to take solace in the fact that now I have one more angel in Heaven who might give God a talking-to and help us get our baby, even if it's too late for that picture.

You might think that a Great Grandma is someone foreign and far away, but she wasn't. Even while she was in assisted living, our family gathered around her regularly. On trips home from college, I was sure to get over to see Great Grandma. For the major holidays, our whole family would gather at her "home", and we'd have a party with her. Her age made no one nervous or uneasy, she was simply "Big Grandma" as Middle Brother coined her when he didn't know the difference between "great" and "big". The name faded as he grew up, but she loved him dearly for the laugh.

Not too many people know this, but I started writing letters to my Great Grandma each week when I was in college. While the consistency has dropped off this past year or two, I still sent the letters whenever I could. I have an enormous collection of stationery, most cards chosen specially for her. I don't tend to buy girly cards with purses or shoes, cartoons of young women shopping or sharing martinis with smart sayings. I buy handmade stationery with embroidered flowers, Vera Wang embossed flowers with pastels and strong cotton pages, solid cream papers with rich-looking gold initials. I chose 90% of the collection with her in mind; I didn't want her to tire of the same stationery each week, as few repeats as possible. I keep seeing "Dear Great Grandma," in my handwriting flash before my eyes. I will still be sending letters to my Chemo Angel, but it will never be the same.

She loved those letters dearly. She told me every time she saw me, and my grandma and her sisters always confirmed it to be true. Right now, more than anything, I want those letters. There should literally be hundreds, and I know they've saved them all. I always told her the best things about the week. I remember telling her about meeting TH, how there was something different about him. I remember telling her all about the wedding, how we made sure to include a line in the ceremony for her, since she couldn't be with us. I remember telling her about college, all the studying I was doing, the friends I was making, who now are my family in New York. My life story over the past 9 years, how I shared it with her when I couldn't be there, is in those letters.

The one glaring piece missing was how hard we've been trying for a baby. My grandmother's sisters read those letters to her, and I have not wanted them to know our struggles. When things started to go south for Great Grandma, I asked Grandma to tell her we were trying, I was trying, to make her a Great Great Grandma. I hadn't forgotten that 5 generations picture that impressed people all my life. I wasn't ignoring it. God just wasn't listening.

I wrote the final letter this week. In it, I told her she was everywhere in our home. I've been with her all these weeks, wrapped up in my favorite blanket, the one she made me that was given to me with forgotten safety pins I refused to take off. Every time I dip into the stationery cabinet, I think of her. When I took down the Christmas tree, I gingerly placed that hideous elf in the container, silently telling her I missed her this Christmas. She's with me every time I have brunch with the girls or have a fun day in the city, as the letter I'll write her starts to form in my head. And finally, I told her she's been with me this entire journey to become a mom. Some days I've begged God to do it for her, if he doesn't feel like making this happen for me. I promised her that when I finally hold our baby, I will soon hold the baby in her blanket, so she can hold him with me.

I confess that in my heart, I feel our baby is closer upon her death. I think she'll be giving God a nudge, using some pull. Since the fall, I've felt that our baby would come just a bit too late for me to tell her the good news. It appears now as though I'll be right; I'll take my first shot of Lupron on the day of her funeral.

Two weeks ago, I got the call from Grandma that time was finally running out. I say finally because Great Grandma was 95. Since September, her body has been shutting down, and I've been wishing for her to be at peace. She lived a full life, filled with love and family, and hearing about her state for these past few months has been hard. It seems like she's been old(er) and fragile my whole life, but what I've heard broke my heart. I've been worried about my Grandma and how hard this is for her. I've felt awful for wishing these things to happen quickly, but I just wanted to end the suffering.

Today, I can follow my thinking. I'm consumed with worry over my Grandma. I am sad, don't get me wrong. Tears have fallen the whole time I've been typing these words. But my Grandma must be so sad right now, and that breaks my heart more than anything. I know sadness; we've become very acquainted over these past few months. It hurts to know that my Grandma is going to go through this deep sadness while she mourns Great Grandma. I know she has to feel it, she must feel it, she needs to feel it, but I hurt knowing what she will feel over these coming days. I know how people will shy away from the sadness, and I know how less than fantastic of a communicator my grandpa is, though he loves her so. I do not want her to feel alone.

Before you tell me all the things I can do for her, rest assured that I know and will do them. I will ease my sadness by taking care of her (and my sister, The Belle, as well). I just needed to say that while my heart aches for Great Grandma, it also aches for Grandma as well, for I know the emotions she'll endure in these coming days, and I wish them on no one.

16 comments:

  1. A wise and lovely friend once encouraged me to talk to someone who wasn't really here, someone I missed talking to so acutely that it hurt. "Talk. Talk out loud," she said. "He can hear you."

    So I'm going to assume that all the future unwritten letters in your head are being read. Their recipient is with you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had an amazing relationship with your great grandma. You are so lucky to have had that. And as the previous poster said, I think those unwritten letters in your head will be read. You'll have another angel working on your side to get you through this.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your family are in my thoughts.

    Beth is wise, and I agree with her completely. I think you should keep writing letters to your Great Grandmother. I know she'll keep loving them and you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how fantastic that you were so close to your great grandma! and all the stories about the hundreds of letters and stationary. what a beautiful relationship :) It's so rare I think to have a great grandma this far into your adult life... don't beat yourself up for not being able to provide the fifth generation in time. She may even help you out now that she may be in a position to let's say, overlook things from a vantage point ;)
    blessings of healing and strenght to you and your family during this time, and may your great grandma have a safe and harmonious journey to the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your great grandma with us. She sounds like such a marvelous woman, so important in your life.

    Peace to her and to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won't tell you what you need to do, because it is all there inside you already....and it is so alive and kicking....

    I am so sorry for your loss....maybe you should still write those letters to her....they may not send them to heaven, but she appears to have been such a great influence on your life, that writing to her would continue to be therapeutic.

    I am so sorry that you intended to bring her a present that was not to be...but I hope she is putting in a few angelic words for you already....

    Hugs. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for the loss of your great grandma...five generations. Wow...I never knew any of my great grandparents. That is truly amazing. Thinking of you and sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, I can see from your words just how wonderful of a person that your Great Grandma was. It makes sense to me that she was, and you are following in her footsteps.

    As for the letters - what a wonderful way to have your life documented and allow for her to be a part of it. Please don't stop writing those letters. I agree with Beth - she can hear you. You will be so glad to have continued those letters later in life and your children will be grateful as well. I just know it.

    I ♥ U

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know your Great Grandma will always be with you and watch over you during these tough times. Never stop writing her letters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry, darlin. But your story touched my heart. I wrote letters to my gramma too.

    Your baby is with her. And another will come down soon.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for your loss. My second cousins that called my grandmother "great grandma" know exactly how you feel. There is a closeness in some families that way. She left us in October, also at 95. *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  12. RIP Great Grandma. I hope you get the letters and enjoy the wonderful memories as you reread them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My condolences, Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful post. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely tribute to your great grandma. She sounds like a remarkable woman. I will be praying for your family at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. K, I'm so sorry that your time on Earth with precious Great Grandma has come to an end. How amazing that she was a part of your life for so many years (I've only ever heard stories about my great grandparents)! What a gift.

    And what a gift YOU were to her! You're one angel of a great granddaughter. I agree with some of the other posters -- your GGma will read these letters. In fact, I think she read them the day she passed on to the other side.

    Like you, I believe that she'll be pulling for you during this upcoming cycle (I like to believe that my dearly departed Grammy is doing the same for me).

    I also wish your Grandma peace during this difficult time. Rally around her with you love.

    ReplyDelete