20 July 2009

Time to hand it over?

I'm currently chasing my ovulation, which led me to calling the RE to discuss what our options are for the next cycle, provided this one doesn't work. (Hold on to that Hope, TH, because I've got nowhere to put it with all these negative OPKs.) TH and I have been debating Clomid alone vs Clomid with IUI. The RE definitely prefers Clomid with IUI.

The nurse called back, ready with the Clomid Rx. I explained the situation, and she explained the process. Here's how things would go:

Day 3 testing (again, even though my last numbers were great and I'm "very, very young")
Take Clomid 3-7 (I think)
U/S on Day 12
If enough follicles, a shot of something (Humegon?) to cause ovulation within 36 hours
At that point, we can decide IUI or at-home "sexual relations"

I know we're not through this cycle yet, but I needed to get our options and start thinking. And seeing as I'm chasing an ovulation right now, I'm a little over this guesswork. TH think we should do 3 months of Clomid on its own before starting IUIs. Today, the nurse said they don't like to give Clomid (with or without IUIs) for longer than 3 months. Gah. We'll have to see if this changes TH's approach.

I don't really want to maintain the wheel of this shitshake ship anymore, which is why I think I'm ready for IUIs. I hand over all control and start doing what the docs tell me to and when. I don't have to orchestrate baby-making sex for days on end simply "just in case". Yes, this process could become incredibly clinical, but really, hasn't it been already? And somehow, the thought of handing in my towel and grabbing a new one that's already been washed and folded for me sounds good.

My only hesitation is the way the nurse stated that the purpose of Clomid is to get more eggs to pop. Well, that and my underlying wonder if I have a uterine problem aside from the fixed septum that will hinder implantation. I don't want to be Jon+Kate reincarnated (for more reasons than one), and I don't want to end up feeling like we wasted time.

It's all so simple, until you stop and think about it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi K!!
    thanks for commenting on my blog. I've been searching for yours but for some reason could not find a link to it before today. So here I am and will be close by to follow your journey. Yes immigration is a pain. Glad to hear your husband got his greencard. We got ours in 2005, and then it's 5 years for citizenship, which will happen soon.
    About your clomid dilemma. I never took clomid. But heard many, many women complain about its side effects, so it's best not to take it for long, from what I understand. IUI is really not bad and it's a welcome help that can skip many factors that may be preventing your pregnancy. If really all you need is to ovulate, and they monitor you, they will take close care so you don't have more than one or two good follicles. And then the fact that they insert the sperm inside your uterus skips any immune or ph difficulty that the little soldiers would face in the CM. But, of course,it's all up to you. and, you still have this cycle going on. Good luck on your chase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment love. =) I'm really happy to have found your blog! (And I'm super jealous that you have Devon Rex kitties! Do you have any pics online?)

    I hope you, TH and the docs come up with a plan that everyone's comfortable with. I'll be following your journey and wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete