26 August 2009

The dirty details

The RE yesterday suggested we go straight to injectables with sex at home and IUI. He gave us a 30-40% chance of pregnancy with a 15-20% chance of multiples. He would aim for 3-4 eggs and cancel a cycle with more than 6 eggs. He'd also be giving me a low dose of Gonal-F to try to prevent hyperstimulation.

He started out our appt by saying we'd been going to him for almost a year, and he wanted to get us going with treatment ASAP. Like I need him to remind me how long we've been at this, LOL! But it was nice that he's on the same page about getting things going already. He recommends skipping Clomid with IUI b/c he says it works best on women who are not ovulating. He knows that I am, so he only gave us a 15% chance of success with it. The risk of multiples is much lower, though. (Hmmm...was this foreshadowing?)

We met with a financial coordinator b/c we had questions about what's been billed as infertility and what hasn't. I have a yearly max, not including meds for procedures that are not IVF, GIFT, or ZIFT (we will confirm this in the next few days), so we wanted to figure out the financial aspect a little better. (The money part deserves it's own rant, but there's no time for it today.) Anyway, it looks like we're good to go with medicated cycles for the rest of the year. The doc mentioned he wanted us on a plan to do IVF by the end of the year if there was no luck with injectables, but we let him know that January would be the soonest we'd go that route as I'm eligible for a plan change that would give me one round of IVF coverage, effective Jan 1st. (IVF by Jan? *gulp*)

He doesn't think it's an implantation issue. He thinks it's just the endo and a combination of the surgeries that is giving us trouble. He seemed pretty optimistic, actually. It was just really great to have him acknowledge that I've been through a lot with the surgeries and everything else this year. I don't know why, but I really needed that. It was like a big sigh of relief when he said he wanted to be a little aggressive with us b/c of how much I've already gone through.

And, the huge suprise is that TH is ready to go with the injectables. I'm now the one that's a little freaked. I really think I want to do Clomid and IUI in Sept and then plan injectables with IUI/home for Oct/Nov/Dec to get us through the end of the year. TH freaks about the multiple aspect, and I'm a little freaked about how close we are to IVF. We're not that close, but we're closer than I thought, I guess.

I don't know. I didn't sleep well after the Counting Crows concert last night, I'm stressed about work (and a wedding situation), and my temp this morning showed I haven't O'ed yet. I got a handful of hair in the shower yesterday morning, which just confirms I'm stressed. And we know the stress situation is not going to make O come any faster. *sigh*

I just need to make it through today. The work stress will disappear, I'll have accomplished a bridesmaid dress shopping trip and will put that behind me, and then I can focus on what to do next...just in time for our injectables class on Friday.

*gulp*

8 comments:

  1. Good luck beginning injectables! I broke my needle in injection class trying to poke it in the practice skin and totally freaked out. :) Everything turned out fine. Good luck!

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a lot on your plate, m'dear. I know how scary and overwhelming this all is.

    I've been getting handfulls of hair in the shower as well (And I haven't even made an appointment to meet with an RE yet! haha).

    Just take it one day at a time. Your doc sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and really wants to see you succeed.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the shots! You'll get used to them quickly. I hope that this cycle will be IT for you.


    *ICLW*

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you have a plan. i like the idea of injectables, skipping clomid. it's not that bad really. and they monitor you very closely, so the risk for multiples is not that crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the injectibles... It sounds like your doc is ready to really work and that he's put some thougt into your protocols.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the injectibles. I'm kinda where you are with wanting to move forward yet scared to move forward. Sounds like you have a good doc.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm working hard on staying with that one day at a time thing! Perhaps I can learn some from you.

    Best of luck with the injectables (I HATED Clomid, personally, and it only thinned my lining...didn't help a thing!). The injections really aren't that bad. Wishing you all the best!

    Keep taking it one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there - I'm actually glad for you that your RE is skipping the Clomid. I have used it twice (one in an IUI) and for Endo, I've found it's like fertilizer. It gives me ridiculous cysts even with the 50mg.

    GL w/ all injects/Gonal-F/IUI cycle :) I'll be right behind you~

    ReplyDelete