1. TH's birthday party. I did not want to have this party. I was dreading it, big time. But by the time I made it to Friday, where we could lounge around and watch TV all night with this horrible week behind me, the party didn't seem so bad. We had lots of fun and great company. I love our apartment, as you all know, LOL. I love it even more when it's filled with loud, happy, drunken conversation.
2. Fresh flowers. After acupuncture yesterday, I went to the Union Square Farmer's Market. I bought gorgeous tulips, which make me a happy, happy girl. There were also pu.ssy willows, which remind me of being little at my Grandma Bonnie's house. I used to love rubbing the little furry bits between my fingers and on my cheek, and this feeling was so soothing for me on my subway ride home from Manhattan. I also realized that Smith's paws feel like pu.ssy willows. :)
3. TH. He wanted this party so badly, which is odd because he doesn't really like to celebrate birthdays. I keep remembering a comment he made when we had our first big infertility fight earlier last week (did I mention last week sucked?). He said we had kind of stopped living. I think this party had a little part of him making the choice for us to live a little, as given the option, I would have chosen the opposite. But he was right. We needed it. We needed to be surrounded by friends, laughter, and fun.4. Erika the acupuncturist. Apparently two weeks ago, when I saw her last, I mentioned that I might be scattering appts throughout this IVF because I'm concerned about using all of our FSA money and possibly needing to pay for meds for this cycle or any future ones. At the end of my treatment, she told me that she was going to lower the cost of my visits by $20 so that I could come every week rather than every other week. I was completely surprised and very, very grateful. I've known her for 3 years now, off and on through treatments (all girly part related), and I think in a different situation, we would be friends. She was shocked at our new sperm-related revelations, and it was kind of nice to have her to talk about it with yesterday. I think both of us felt we were failing with my treatments, and I think we both benefited just a little from the conversation we had yesterday.
5. Unexpected love. During the party last night, I was talking to one of the girls. We'll call her Monti to make it a little easier. Monti and I are both good friends with Eves, but we're not actually all that close. We run different lives and are just pretty different people. She's more of the crazy party type, as is Eves, and that's just never been my thing. And up until recently, I had a pretty low tolerance for Monti. We were friendly enough, but I just wasn't that into her. LOL
So, last night, we're talking, and somehow marriage comes up. She confesses to me that her roommate, another friend of ours, have had numerous conversations about marriage and how they want the type of marriage that TH and I have. I couldn't believe these words, but oh how I needed to hear them! Monti said that she knows things aren't perfect, as nothing ever is, but that they can tell how much we love each other and how devoted we are to our marriage and our life together. It made my heart melt. Of course, that's how I feel about TH. But to hear that two others, one romantic, one seemingly not so much, can see that coming from TH and I? It made me happy. The conversation progressed, as she knows we've been trying but not much more than that. I said about how TH would be such a great dad and how I just really wanted that for him, and she stopped me to say that I would be a fantastic mom, too. TH would be great, but I would be great, too. Our baby would be lucky to have us.
I needed that unexpected burst of confidence, to know that our love is worn on our somewhat tattered but more or less perfect sleeves. It made me feel so good to know that it's out there for the world to see, not just in my heart.
So, what's going to lead you into Monday and the week ahead with a smile on your face? What made your week a little brighter?


1. The fact that you posted this.
ReplyDelete2. Our phone date this afternoon and Paul teaching us about religion. Again.
3. Acupuncture double date.
4. Making the phone call to Mary.
5. Aspirin, the fever-buster.
Sometimes it's a pleasant surprise to see how people view us.
ReplyDeleteMy week was a little brighter because I had a much needed conversation with one of my sisters, and I'm feelin' the love again.
ICLW#93
One thing popped into my head while reading this post: Your baby WILL be lucky to have you two.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you decided to have the party. I am sure it made a huge difference in your mooods and overall outlook. I am sure it also made this week easier to start.
My week is brighter because I have hope, hope that things are going to work out for us, and we will be able to achieve our desired dream. I have that same hope for you and TH.
All my love XOXO
I love that your acupuncturist lowered your cost....thats awesome!!
ReplyDeletethinking of you.
ReplyDelete