05 April 2010

Just tell me to go

In January (where did the time go?), I set up a consult in April for a different RE. He's the only one at this other practice, which is known to be very good, that takes my insurance. I set this appt up prior to the first IVF, hoping we'd never have to use it. Well, well, well.

I called for the authorization today. I've gathered the records from IVF. He wants films from the HSG, but frankly, that's too much to ask of me at this point. I filled out the forms they emailed this morning when they called to confirm the appointment. I had a minor chitfit at "Patient's Name". How come TH always gets to be listed as the partner? He's the patient now, too. Peanuts, I know, but the thought was there with each time I had to write it. (I also cursed our ridiculously long last name.)

Tell me that going doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean that we're still going to be stuck on this train. It doesn't mean I don't have faith in this IVF, this new plan. It just means it takes a really long time to get a consult with this doctor, so going is just that...going.

We've decided that if this doesn't work, we will be on a break. In my mind, I call it an indefinite break. I need to heal. I can't walk around with this gaping hole and try to pretend like everything is okay, if this doesn't work. I need to walk away from all of it for awhile and let myself heal, let the wound close up a little bit. I can't keep walking around like this, a shadow of myself, depressed and on the verge of tears more days than not. I won't. I'm worth more than that, as I've slowly started to remember these last few weeks. So if I have to table this for awhile (and maybe a long while) to get back to taking care of myself and leaving the self-hate of infertility behind, then we need to do it. TH deserves his wife back, not this shadow of a woman for whom he needs to care for. So you might be able to see why I'm not sure this appt is worth it and why it might feel like I am tying myself in to something I've already turned down.

I never understood how people took breaks before, but now I see. You can't keep this up. It would be a mistake for me to keep us going if this doesn't work. I realize that now, and that's how I know that it's finally right. If this doesn't work, we work on letting it all go for awhile, whatever that means.

I can't thank you all for the support in the past week. As the emails trickle in with the comments, I can't describe the literal support I feel. I will have you all to fall back on, to carry me over the finish line, if and when I need you to. I know you will. You'll hold my hope, when I have no desire to see it, in the strange way that I can easily hold yours when I can't believe in my own. Knowing that makes this a little easier. You know how I feel about this cycle, and no one judged me for doing it anyway. In fact, you understood.

We're at a temporary finish line. I just have to do this cycle. If it works, great. (We'll get to that later.) If it doesn't, we stop. We breathe. Classes will be over, and we will live again. And my heart will start to heal.

8 comments:

  1. What's that saying NBC used to play after one of their anti-drug ads..."Knowledge is Power"? That's all this appointment is doing: adding to your store of knowledge. There is no commitment, no signing over of another part of your soul, just more knowledge, another perspective, additional information to consider IF you need to go through all this again at some point in the future.

    I continue to hold hope in my heart for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a great idea to talk to another RE - just to see what they say. I think it's really wise to explore all your options, especially while going through this IVF. And if this doesn't work, you'll move on, either to a break for awhile, or another RE - either way, it will be what you need to do. And all of us will continue to support you in this journey. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so hard to be at the place you are with treatments. However, it is so important to take that break if you feel you need it. Sign up for a massage membership somewhere, go get some facials to erase some of the scars IF has left behind. Take time to completely focus on you and getting your marriage back to where "bedroom activities" are fun again, take a nice, long beach vacation.

    I pray that you get to cycle, if that is what you want, and if you do, that it is successful. If it isn't what you want, then back out at any time and get to know yourself again.

    Loads of luck and well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
    -ee cummings

    ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have everything crossed that this cycle will work for you. Keeping your options open is a good idea I think. If you don't need it you can always cancel. And sometimes a fresh set of eyes provides a new perspective.

    And I totally get the break thing. My first IVF nearly broke me in half.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're just checking this new RE out. No need to commit. I really hope this cycle works for you. You're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does not hurt to have a second opinion...especially when the current going is not very rosy.

    Do this cycle. Give it your best shot. And yes, taking breaks is what we do for sanity, for not losing the remaining semblance of understanding what to do with the rest of the time.

    K, I wanted to say this before but did not. And I want to say it now or it will be even more further away from the right time.

    After the failure of the your first IVF, I apparently did not leave any words of consoling or anything. The truth is that I did read your posts, and felt for you. It was bad. I felt your anger, and your silent poking the finger at God and all. And I was with you even then. I understand all those emotions too well.

    And I will be 'more there' in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need to do what is right for you. If you need to see this doc, see him/her. If you need to take a break, take a break. In the end doing what is right for you is always the best thing. Praying for you every step of the way. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete