25 April 2010

The Recap

We started out the morning heading into the city for acupuncture. Erika had suggested appts before and after transfer, and I happily agreed. If the transfer was on Thursday, this wouldn't have worked out, so it was one more positive to a Day5 transfer.

TH drove us to the train, but because we were running a few minutes late, he dropped me off to ride the subway immediately with him following after me. As I was about to go through the turnstile, I saw my favorite yoga teacher. I positively lit up. She was headed into the city as well, so we talked for the majority of my ride to acupuncture. I can't describe to you how energized I was after talking with her. TH used to joke that she was my girl crush because I just gush about her. She's one of those people with fabulous positive energy that just makes you feel GOOD. I took seeing her as a great sign for the day.

Right after she got off the train, a happy mariachi band got on the car to play. Tears came to my eyes because their singing was in such sweet harmony, I was coming off the glow of seeing and talking with my old yoga teacher, and now I had a good sign about our upcoming trip. It was win, win, win.

When I got to Erika, I was positively giddy. I couldn't wait to have my treatment and then head off to get our babies. She knew the events of the week, so she was quite glad to see me in such good spirits. And it felt so good to *be* in such good spirits.

After acupuncture#1, TH, who met me there, and I headed to the RE's office. The office was a little behind because the RE of the day had not yet arrived. Luckily, there were only two people ahead of me, so I didn't have to hold the full bladder for too long. (I learned from last time and drank way less!) We were the last transfer of the day, so it was a nice and quiet wait.

The RE came in and told us we still had all 7 embryos, which shocked both of us. He said that the lab was split in how many they thought we should transfer, though. We had two Grade 3 blasts, one BB and one BC, that the RE wanted to transfer. The lab thought we should transfer either 2 or 3, but the RE (not ours) didn't really think transferring a third, based on my age, would make all that much of a difference in the pregnancy rate, though it would significantly increase our triplet rate. (We've been told that because of the septum removal, it's probably never a good idea for me to carry more than two. TH and I also agree that we are not comfortable with triplets.) That being said, I admit to having a last minute freak out about how many to transfer. If we were the last couple of the day, couldn't you have given us this info to digest while we waited?! Hello. But alas, they did not. I asked the RE to step out (did he really think we were going to have this discussion in front of him?), and TH and I made our decision to stick with two. But good God, it was difficult. Given everything that happened this week and then hearing that the blasts were less than perfect, I fully admit to being the one that panicked and wanted to transfer three. TH talked some sense into me (as that was our deal), and we went with two.

The transfer went off without a hitch. I admit to not knowing much about blast grading, so after getting up the courage to read a little today, I'm much less concerned. But I also admit to feeling disappointed, excited, anxious, and terrified before, during, and after the transfer. I did what I could to welcome those babies, and I have been making up for it ever since.

Once we were okay to leave the office, we took a cab back to acupuncture. On the way there, a song we played repeatedly for the baby we lost in December came on the radio. I finally just caved and started crying. Poor TH had no idea why I was suddenly a mess, as he didn't recognize the song. I think after the realm of emotions (and the hormones!), I just needed to let it out! And it came tumbling out in the backseat of a cab, LOL.

When we got to Erika, she had me rest on a bed while she put in the needles for another patient. I was grateful to just have some time to settle myself and be alone. I needed those moments with the babies after everything that had just gone on. I also just needed them for myself.

The treatment was great, and we left feeling much, much better. We walked around a farmer's market for a little bit while waiting for FIL to come pick us up. (Traffic in Manhattan was insane yesterday!) In the meantime, we found the most amazing garlic knots EVAH. I'll have to post a pic when we upload them. Good God, they were awesome.

We headed home, and a few hours later, MIL and FIL came over for a BBQ. It was quite nice because we had fantastic food and I was not able to help in the least bit. :) All I had to do was get a few things out for MIL to make deviled eggs and set the table while TH and FIL grilled everything outside. And, it was a good thing that that was all I did because by 8pm, while everyone else was still eating, I became physically exhausted. I was that kind of tired where you're so exhausted that everything aches yet at the same time, you aren't ready to fall asleep. So, they finished dinner, and I cuddled on the couch under a blanket and two warm kitties.

I woke up this morning pretty bloated, which is a pretty good thing. I had some lunch, and then TH and I decided to head back to bed to cuddle. Well, we didn't cuddle for long because I started to get really nauseous...and then got sick. And again. And again. :( I had just eaten and taken my doxy, but I don't really think that's what did it. I haven't had any nausea with it, and I ate! I put it together with the bloating (though I'm still on the every 2 hour middle of the night peeing schedule) and thought maybe OHSS is taking off again, but I'm not so sure that's it either. I'm bloated as all hell, but I'm not up anything on the scale (thank you!) We go in tomorrow for a progesterone check, so I will just mention it to the monitoring RE then. I've been nauseous on and off today, but nothing like earlier, thankfully. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but any throwing up in a two week wait is cruel, IMO. I've also had the uterus pain I have been having more and more with each cycle, so there's something going on in there. C'mon Frick and Frat! ;)

So, that's where we are. I've got the babies, and after picking up a free dresser from a coworker today (which, ahem, will be perfect painted white for a nursery, should we need one any time soon....), we're off to prepare for school next week. Beta is next week, and my one final is one week after beta. Not great timing. :( But before that final, I have three papers, a presentation, and two homework assignments to tackle. Awesome.

12 comments:

  1. So glad you had such a great day leading up to the transfer! Will be praying your embies are snuggling in tight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fallen behind on blogs and trying to catch up. I am thinking of you during this time. *hugs* Praying those babies are growing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a really good transfer day - wow, blasts huh? That is awesome! I love the sound of the blast grades.

    Thinking of you and your embabies and I hope that you get through this week with little stress.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The acupuncture sounds like it helped you have a wonderful transfer day! I'm really happy to hear that it went well and that you had 7 embies. I've got my fingers and toes and all my other appendages crossed for you! And I'm sending good, positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE all of the positive energy that came your way on transfer day!

    Did they freeze any?

    Thinking of you and sending implantation vibes!
    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very positive--I have a good feeling about this one. Best of luck from one endo chick to another!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great day - all the best to you and your embies! Stick and grow, babies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a terrific day. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a good day! (And after the week you've had you so deserve it!) I've got everything crossed for you and your husband.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for super sticky vibes your way.

    Blast grading is still debated. Many pregnancies have been achieved by less than stellar looking embryos.

    Sending juju to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous day of your transfer! All these things you have done to be positive and take care of those babies will allow them to nestle in for a long time! Be good to yourself now - you need to pamper yourself now. I'm so sorry you've had nausea - this really sucks! But sending you lots of good thoughts that those two little guys stick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats! sending lots of positive vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete